Monday, August 31, 2009

Say hello to...Fantastic rice crackers.

Original BBQ Cheese
I first experienced Fantastic rice crackers when I was in Australia. I noticed that they were labeled gluten-free, but decided to check the ingredients as usual. I was very shocked to see that it contained soy sauce powder which had hydrolyzed wheat. I thought this was odd since Australia has strict gluten-free labeling laws. After contacting the Fantastic company, I received the following response from Marianne Gan (08/30/09):

As a Quality Assured food manufacturer all our products are produced and labelled in accordance with the requirements of Food Standards Australia & New Zealand. Hydrolysed wheat does not contain gluten. The soy sauce powder used, is made by fermenting soy beans with a small amount of wheat. In the process of fermentation the wheat is hydrolysed and decomposed. Regular testings are conducted by an Accredited laboratory tests to confirm this product is gluten free by scientific analysis.

At the time I had read a post on Celiac.com about a few individuals who were also confused by this label. Although they received a similar response from the company, they still believed that hydrolyzed wheat contained gluten. Now I'm sensitive to the smallest bread crumb and did not get sick from these crackers. I'm interested in knowing about your experiences with hydrolyzed wheat?

No comments:

Post a Comment