Monday, April 13, 2009

Say hello to...cashew chicken.

I've mentioned before how much I love Thai Food. This Thai dish (Kai Pad Med Ma Muang) 
is made with oyster sauce (which has wheat), but I substitute it with Suree Brand Pad Thai sauce since they have the same thickness. The Pad Thai sauce is sweeter, so I hold the sugar from the regular recipe. Here it is:

Ingredients
2 tbsp corn flour
2 tbsp gf soy sauce (I use tamarind sauce)
pinch ground pepper
3/4 cup chicken breast, thinly sliced
2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1/2 cup onions, sliced
1/2 cup straw mushrooms, cut in quarters
1/4 cup carrot, thickly sliced
1/4 cup water chestnuts, cut in quarters
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1 tbsp pad thai sauce (instead of oyster sauce)
1 tbsp gf soy sauce
1 tsp chili oil
1/3 cup spring onions, cut into lengths
10 small dried red chilies
1 tsp coriander leaves, coarsely chopped to garnish

1. Whisk corn flour, soy sauce and pepper, then add chicken and stir until coated. Heat the oil in the wok, and fry the chicken, turning occasionally until tender. Place them to drain on paper towel and set aside.

2. Heat the oil in the wok and fry garlic until beginning to color. Add onions, mushrooms, carrots, water chestnuts and cashew nuts, and fry until all vegetables are cooked and crispy.  Add chicken and season with pad thai sauce, soy sauce and chili oil until well combined. Sprinkle spring onions and cook for about 30sec. Remove from heat.

3. Sprinkle with coriander leaves and dried chilies. Serve over brown rice.

Hope you find it tasty!

1 comment:

  1. Hello! On the off chance that you would read this comment, I've decided to post and hope for the best. My name is Kate, and I'm also a Celiac! I'm going to be moving to Bundang (about 35 minutes away from Seoul) in July, and I'll admit that I'm slightly nervous about the eating situation. I'm determined not to let the GF thing stop me from living life and traveling though, and so I thank you for your website! It's been a great source of relief and hope for me :) Have you found it overly difficult to live GF in Korea? Did you ever try using one of those GF travel cards?

    I hope I'm not bombarding you with questions, but honestly you're the first source of information I've found after a long search :) My email is lightyellowrose@gmail.com , if you're willing to answer a few questions for me!

    Thanks again for the site :)
    ~Kate

    ReplyDelete