Friday, July 3, 2009

Say hello to...gluten free flour mix.

I've lived in Seoul for 3 1/2 years now. Whenever I have the chance to travel to a western country, I always try to bring as much gf flour back with me. Or when I know of someone traveling here, I'll get them to bring some. It's worked quiet well, until recently, when I've been trying to experiment with more gf baking. I've suddenly ran all the bags dry ;) Korea does most things quiet different from westerners, and adds wheat flour to most potato starches. Until just last week I hadn't been able to find a gf potato starch. Luckily I was able to find a tapioca starch at a foreign food mart here. So with those two, combined with rice flour, I can now make my very own gf flour! Here's my basic mix, which I'm sure a lot of you are already familiar with:

2 cups rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch

I've used it for several recipes and am more than content with the simple mix. Please, let me know of your favorite gf flour mixes. I would love to expand from this :) But I might have to wait until I have access to more flours ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment