Friday, September 4, 2009

Say hello to...Stevia.

Prior to leaving for Thailand in August, I had stumbled upon some recipes that called for liquid stevia. After reading about Stevia, I learned that it's low glycemic, low carbohydrate and is used as 40% of the sweetner market in Japan! In America it's currently classified as a dietary supplement and not a food additive. It comes in various forms, such as tea leaves, pure powder, and liquid drops. I recently purchased Now Foods' French Vanilla Stevia Extra Liquid to use in my coffee. It tastes great, like any other sweetner, but be careful to only add a little since it's 200 times sweeter than regular sugar! While in Thailand I found a wonderful store that sold all kinds of dried tea leaves from Thailand, including Stevia leaves. I love adding it to my peppermint tea for extra sweetness ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment