Friday, November 6, 2009

Say hello to...broccoli cheese quiche.

I'm in the process of recovering from mono. At my worst, I was mostly eating yogurt and scrambled eggs, but as my tonsils have improved I've tried to include other food groups. So I decided to make quiche, since I could add to it whatever I wanted. My recipe is crustless, but you can always add an easy gf pre-mix package, a homemade crust, or crumbled potatoes on the bottom layer. Feel free to adapt veggies of your choice, like adding spinach. Also, I like to use tomato sauce in place of milk to give it a more tomato-ey taste. I've enjoyed this recipe so much that I've made it 3 times this week :P

Ingredients
3 whole eggs
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar & mozarella)
1 cup of tomato sauce or 1 cup of milk/soy milk
About 2 broccoli heads, cut to small pieces
4-5 slices of gf ham or turkey sandwich meat, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Sprinkled fresh herbs (thyme, basil, marjoram)

1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
2. Spray pan or casserole dish with cooking oil. If using a crust or potatoes, cover the bottom layer with it.
3. In a medium bowl mix broccolli, ham, and cheeses. Spread over the bottom of the pan.
4. In a small bowl whisk whole eggs, egg whites, milk or sauce, and spices until well combined. Gently pour mixture over the vegetables and cheeses. Sprinkle the with more nutmeg.
5. Bake 40-50min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let sit at least 10-15 min so it can set.

No comments:

Post a Comment